Dept. of Agriculture's logo
of Agriculture

State of Hawaii

Financial Assistance
Agriculture Development
Quality Assurance
Pest Control
Land and Water
Admin Rules
Who We Are
Job Opportunities
What's New

E-Mail to HDOA

E-Mail to
Animal Quarantine


Return to HDOA's
Main Page

Return to Hawaii's
Agricultural Gateway


Export Program


Hawaii Department of Agriculture's (HDOA) Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the export of nursery products (propagative plants) to the mainland U.S. and certain foreign countries by certifying that the shipment meets the requirements of the state or country of destination.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the export of cut-flowers, foliage and fruits from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. and propagative plants to foreign countries. Anyone who has traveled to the mainland is familiar with the mandatory USDA baggage inspection at the airports for agricultural materials. For more information, link to the USDA-Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) website by clicking here.

HDOA Plant Quarantine inspectors, in cooperation with USDA inspectors, are able to inspect and certify plant materials intended for shipment to the mainland U.S. See Chapter 4-73, Plant Export Rules in PDF format, for more information.

Exporters of plant materials and produce should contact their nearest USDA or HDOA Plant Quarantine Office for the inspection requirements of their products. By complying with the regulations, the inspection process can be expedited resulting in a fresher quality product reaching its destination.

Application for Phytosanitary Certificate (PQ-47A):

Foreign countries and some U.S. mainland states sometimes require that an official government document be issued describing shipments of plant materials exported from Hawaii. The document that the Plant Quarantine Branch issues is called a PHYTOSANITARY CERTIFICATE.

Exporters can download the Application for Phytosanitary Certificate form to request that the Plant Quarantine Branch issue a phytosanitary certificate. Mail or fax to nearest Plant Quarantine Office (see "Contacts" below). Foreign countries should be contacted to see if an Import Permit is also required for importation of plant materials. Specific requirements and declarations that need to be included on the phytosanitary certificate would be stated on the Import Permit of the respective country.

Nursery Certification Programs:

HDOA's Plant Quarantine Branch has programs for qualified nurseries to self-certify their potted plants under a Burrowing Nematode Certification Program and an Orchid Nursery Certification Program.

California-Hawaii Origin Inspection Program:

This program allows cut-flowers and foliage to be shipped to the State of California through self-certification by certified growers/shippers under a 3-party agreement.

For a phone listing of contact numbers, select "Contacts."